A DYNAMIC NETWORKthe various links emerging from the successful Eurolignin project activity lead to an international network co-ordinating the multiple actitvities in the field of lignin but also with adjacent fields (biofuels and biorefineries, pulp and paper, other plant derived materials etc.)
A SUPPORT PROGRAMfor the members, involving conferences (Forums), workshops, reports and updates for specialists and newcomers on various lignin aspects like production and availability, uses and developments needs, research priorities and strategic issues
PROJECTSwhere ILI acts as "matchmaker" to facilitate partnerships, between R&D and market actors, producers and users of lignin. ILI is supporting the writing of project proposals and the creation of partnerships. Furthermore coordination with EU and national projects is carried out through the ILI UMBRELLA approach. For more details about ongoing ILI project development click here.
THEMATIC HIGHLIGHTSUsing co-operation between various on-going projects as tools. The main continuously developping themes are:
- Methods and standards for lignin characterisation - improved understanding of the lignin structure, definition of reliable and reproducible analytical methods that allow successful characterisation of main technical lignins, round robins and reference samples
- Production of primary (non derivatised) and secondary (chemically modified or otherwise improved) lignins - product information, samples, contacts to existing and potential producers, future development of new improved products with higher purity and more narrow distribution of characteristics
- Lignin bioactivity (Life Sciences) - applications and fundamental understanding of lignin-protein interaction useful for improving the biological processes in plants, animals and human beings.
- Smart polymers - development of high value products with very specific characteristics, using the multiple properties of lignin at micro and nano scale (free radical scavenging, surfactant properties, interaction with photons, interaction with micro-organisms etc.)
- Lignin composites - markets and products related to the fundamental character of lignin as a reactive dendritic macromolecule, using most appropriately the linear and branched domains of lignins for thermosets, thermoplastics, speciality products etc.